Monday, May 25, 2015

Mother of All Churches

     Today Anna and I got to walk around St. John Lateran for a while, and then sit in the back of the church for a bit longer. The church took my breath away. It was so amazing, so beautiful and so overwhelming. I mean overwhelming in a good way, though - the kind of way in which you need to just stand there for a good ten minutes because it's too magnificent to comprehend. Even just sitting down and looking at the ceiling I was blown away by how gorgeous the entire building was, and how much talent and skill went into creating it. I was able to see the tombs of various popes, walk through the aisle flanked by important saints including Peter and Paul, and bask in the beauty of the golden altar. I think the combination of pure beauty and the fact that the church is the seat of the diocese of Rome really hit me full force as I sat in the back with Anna. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears as I stared at all the gold, marble and wood in front of me. There were so many people, but I didn't even notice them I was so captivated by everything in the church. It was definitely a big moment, one that I won't forget for quite a long time. To be honest I'm wary, after my reaction to St. John's, about how I'm going to react inside the Sistine Chapel. Fingers crossed that I don't break down in tears before I can at least find a little corner out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment